A fully-funded fellowship program called the Western Union Foundation Fellowship is available to entrepreneurs and community leaders from underserved, displaced, and refugee areas all around the world.
According to a document obtained by Nairametrics, the program is designed as a startup and leadership accelerator to give participants the knowledge and expertise they need to expand their access to job possibilities and build networks that will help communities change. The program has a virtual and international scope.
According to the foundation, the program is for anyone looking for mentoring, enhanced leadership skills, access to financial options, entrepreneurship training, and venture impact.
Being an entrepreneur or a community leader from or working with a highly marginalized group is one of the requirements for candidacy.
Applicants must be in charge of community programs or early-stage social impact companies with a track record of leadership, entrepreneurship, and impact.
Early-stage businesses are those that have a functional prototype or minimal viable product (MVP), as well as those who have a track record of success in terms of impact, revenue, and beneficiaries.
The following countries—Argentina, Bangladesh, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Japan, Lithuania, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Philippines, Uganda, the United Kingdom, and the United States—as well as those in which applicants reside or are employed—will receive preference.
advantages of taking part in the program
assistance and guidance: The Watson Institute staff will offer assistance to those who have been chosen, as well as advice on how to expand and scale their projects and impacts.
Possibility of leading workshops: They will also lead a Basecamp impact workshop and stakeholders’ training in their neighborhood.
assistance in the form of money and equipment: To help fellows in their endeavors, they will be given a stipend, a playbook, and team assistance.
How to apply
- Application Submission: Complete the online application by answering four short essay questions, which should take approximately 45 minutes to complete. The deadline for submitting your application is August 18th, 2023.
- First Round Review: The admissions team will review applications on an ongoing basis starting from July 7th, 2023. Applications are reviewed in two batches, and it is encouraged to submit your application early. Applications received before July 28th will be reviewed by August 14th, while applications received after July 28th will be reviewed by September 7th.
- Interview: Qualified applicants will be invited to a 20-minute Zoom interview, beginning on July 10th, 2023.
- Admissions Committee Review: The most exceptional applicant profiles will be shared with an external admissions committee for final review.
- Acceptances Announced: In mid-August, the admissions team will begin notifying applicants of their final acceptances and fellowship awards. Applicants who submitted before July 28th will receive their admissions decision by August 14th, while those who submitted after July 28th will receive their decisions by September 7th.
- Fellowship Confirmation & Enrollment: To finalize enrollment, accepted fellows must review and sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
Two rounds of reviews will be conducted when applications are received. Qualified candidates will be interviewed via Zoom, and the strongest profiles will be examined by an outside admissions committee.
Beginning in the middle of August, acceptance notices and fellowship awards will be made public. To complete their enrollment, chosen fellows must peruse and sign Watson’s Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
The final application date is August 18, 2023. Apply here for more details.